Protecting the planet –
Labour’s pledges on the environment
Scientists warn the world must take urgent and drastic action during the next 12 years to limit the damage wreaked by climate change. We can’t wait for central government to act. Every council needs to do as much as they can locally now. Labour supports the Climate Emergency Motion 2019 and will ensure that the Council is held accountable for meeting the 2030 carbon neutral commitment.
Labour locally would safeguard the environment by:
- opposing fracking in North Somerset;
- boosting renewable energy options, including solar and both offshore and onshore wind, and exploring the potential of the Severn Barrage tidal power station;
- working with local businesses to invest in deposit machines for plastic bottles;
- opening local tips for longer to minimise flytipping and give people, especially those in flats, better solutions for recycling;
- working with businesses to channel otherwise wasted food to food banks – which should not be needed – and to providers of community meals.